Whip this easy vegan mushroom-based gravy up in about 10 minutes or less.
Pour this gravy over comfort foods like mashed potatoes, stuffing, or a turkey-less holiday roast for a deliciously savory bite.
- Blender or food processor
- Saucepan or small-medium sized pot
- Measuring cup
- 2 cups of cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable or vegan chicken flavored broth
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp minced fresh or dry thyme
- 1 tbsp minced fresh or dry rosemary
- Salt and black pepper to taste (depending on how salty your vegetable broth is, you may not need to add extra salt)
- Pour vegetable or vegan chicken flavored broth (I like Orrington Farms) into a blender or food processor with mushrooms. Then blend till the mushrooms are roughly diced.
- Add the other wet ingredients into the blender (almond milk and olive oil). Then, blend till smooth or finely chopped texture.
- Add in all-purpose flour with thyme and rosemary and blend again. Add the flour in slowly. Use more or less flour to achieve desired gravy thickness.
- Pour gravy mixture onto a saucepan or small-medium-sized pot on medium heat. Lightly stir and bring the gravy to a simmer.
- Lastly, add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe makes a thick and savory vegan mushroom gravy.
Those who used a food processor will have yielded a smoother, more traditional style gravy. If you used a regular blender, yours will be a bit chunky but still just as good!
I use a high-powered Ninja Blender so the gravy comes out with bits of finely chopped mushroom pieces, somewhere in between the consistency you’d get from a regular blender and a food processor.