Ingredients for Vegetable Egg Rolls
Egg roll wrappers: Nasoya’s vegan egg roll wrappers Best Choice
Oil: will be used for frying the egg rolls. So, use neutral oil that has a good smoke point such as:
- refined vegetable oil
- safflower oil.
Dipping sauce: Choose your favorite one. Personally, I think we should always use one that we enjoy eating.
How to Make Egg Rolls
- First, you need to fry your veggies. Heat up the sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the ginger and garlic. for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, and scallions (cook for 5 minutes), or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the soy sauce, sugar, salt, and ground white pepper and cook for 1 minute. Turn the heat off and transfer the vegetables to a bowl. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Take an egg roll wrapper, Place it on a flat surface with one edge of the wrapper facing you.
- 2 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture and place it in the center of the wrapper. Spread the mixture until there are about 2 inches of wrapper left free on each side.
- Take the edge of the wrapper facing you and fold it over the filling. Tightly roll until you reach the center of the wrapper.
- Tightly fold each side of the wrapper toward the center (where the filling is) and continue rolling until you reach the top corner.
- Seal the top of the wrapper by wetting the corner with a little water. Place the egg roll on a plate with the top corner facing down. Do the same for the other 11 egg rolls.
- Put enough oil in a skillet to cover the surface by about half an inch. Turn the heat to medium-high and when the oil is very hot, almost smoking, carefully place a few egg rolls in the skillet making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes, until the egg rolls are golden brown, and flip them. Fry on the other side for another 1-2 minutes and transfer them to a plate covered with a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or my easy dumpling sauce recipes. Congrats, you just made vegetable egg rolls!
How to Bake Egg Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (204ºC).
- Follow the above steps to make the egg roll filling and rolling the egg rolls.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray cooking spray on top.
- Place the egg rolls on the parchment paper and spray a little cooking spray on top of each egg roll.
- Place in the center rack of the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Flip the egg rolls over and bake for an additional 6-7 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or my easy dumpling sauce recipes.